Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lemon Grass (tanglad) Tea

I had been using lemon grass before in flavoring soups and other dishes, but only last year did I know that it can be made into an iced tea drink. We were able to try it first at a Thai restaurant, though I think their preparation is quite sweet. Its very simple to make, and I prefer to make it myself since it costs very little, and I can sweeten it as desired. The lemon grass can bought at the local market (known as tanglad) or in the supermarket. Just wash and cut it up about one inch lengths (using scissors is easier than using a knife).


Boil in filtered water, about one cup per stalk of grass, or according to desired flavor. Turn off the heat once the water has boiled, and leave for about 5-10 mins. Pour into glass or cup, drink hot or cold. Add sweetener, as desired. (Tip: raw honey is a delicious and healthy choice).
Lemon grass has many health benefits. It helps to detoxify the liver, pancreas, kidney, bladder and the digestive tract. It cuts down uric acid, cholesterol, excess fats and other toxins in the body while stimulating digestion, blood circulation, and lactation; it also alleviates indigestion and gastroenteritis. It is said that lemongrass also helps improve the skin by reducing acne and pimples and acts as a muscle and tissue toner. Also, it can reduce blood pressure.

3 comments:

  1. We have some lemon balm growing...do you know if it has the same benefits and can you boil it, too to make tea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, I haven't encountered lemon balm, but you can easily do a google search on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently had a chance to taste lemon grass tea and it was really good! Knowing the health benefits, I think I should check out if it is available at the super market.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!